Darrell Evans is the clean-up hitter for Detroit in RBI Baseball. Although he is slow and a poor contact hitter, his 951 power rating makes him second in the game to Andre Dawson (along with Jose Canseco). Evans is widely considered to be one of the top players in RBI.
Evans, a lefty from Pasadena, CA, was a two-time All-Star (1973 as a 3B and 1983 as a 1B). He hit 40 home runs in 1985 to lead the American League, becoming the first player over the age of 40 to hit 40 HRs in a season. He finished his 21-season big league career with 414 home runs. Today, Evans is manager of the independent Long Beach Armada of the Golden League.
- Left-handed hitter
- .257 Batting Average
- 34 Home Runs
- 951 Power Rating
- 29 Contact Rating
- 120 Speed Rating
- Born May 26, 1947 in Pasadena, California
- Drafted by the Kansas City Athletics in the 7th round of the 1967 amateur draft
- Played in the Big Leagues from 1969 to 1989
- Traded by the Atlanta Braves with Marty Perez to the San Francisco Giants for Willie Montanez, Craig Robinson, Mike Eden, and Jake Brown.
Hall of Shame Entries
- Tied an NL record when he committed three errors in one inning, April 11, 1980, against the Padres
- Was nicknamed "Howdy" because of his resemblance to the inanimate puppet Howdy Doody
- Claimed to have seen a UFO in 1982 - "Pleasanton, California: Darrell Evans, first baseman for the Detroit Tigers professional baseball team, reported that he and his wife saw a triangular craft with brilliant white lights from the patio of their former home in Pleasanton. "It was as if they singled us out," he said. However, he waited two years before telling anyone about it."
- Soon after 35-year-old Darrell Evans got the news that he was being benched, he claims to have been visited by a UFO. "When I got a chance to play again," he recalls, "I approached things a lot more intensely than before." Instead of winding down his career in 1982, the San Fransisco third baseman wound it back up, adding 196 homers to his previous total of 218 before he retired at the age of 42. - source