Jump to navigation Jump to search
Keith Hernandez is a starter for New York in the NES version of RBI. Keith is a very average player overall, and a very below average 3rd spot hitter. Keith does have some power, but his speed leaves a lot to be desired. Keith Hernadez has the lone distinction of being the only player on RBI Baseball to have had a staring role on an episode of Seinfeld, where he spoke the infamous words inside his head, "I'm Keith Hernandez!".
- .290 batting average
- 22 Home Runs
- 843 Power Rating
- 124 Speed Rating
- 11 Contact Rating
- Born October 20, 1953 in San Francisco, CA
- Played in the Big Leagues from 1974 to 1990
- Drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 42nd round of the 1971 amateur draft
- NL MVP in 1979 in a tie with Willie Stargell, although Keith received more 1st place votes
- An All-Star in 1979, 1980, 1984, 1986, & 1987
- A Golden Glove winner 11 years in a row from 1978 to the 1988 season
- Set major league records for most seasons leading league first basemen in double plays (six) and lifetime assists by a first baseman
- Was traded to the Mets in mid-1983 after manager Whitey Herzog was convinced Hernandez was using drugs
- Was a member of the Mets 1986 World Series Champion team, but only batted .231 during it.
- Was traded in 1983 to the Mets from the St. Louis Cardinals because Whitey Herzog suspected that he had a drug problem based on performance and attitude. Herzog hinted at this to the press to defend the trade, a move which cause Hernandez to threaten a libel suit.
- His cocaine addiction became public in 1985 during the infamous "Pittsburgh Drug Trial" of drug dealer Curtis Strong. Hernandez is one of several players (including Tim Raines and Jeffrey Leonard who are granted immunity in exchange for their testimony that Strong was their cocaine supplier. Hernandez is later fined 10 percent of 1986 salary and forced to work 100 hours of community service by MLB in order to avoid a one-year suspension.
- Currently serving at the Mets' color analysts for SportsNet New York.
- I'm Keith Hernandez
- Appeared in four episodes of Seinfeld as himself, The Boyfriend Part I and II, and The Finale Part I and II.
- He also appeared on an episode of Law & Order as not himself